Brewery Production Assistant / Delivery Driver
[Entry Level Position– 30-35 hours/week]
Skeleton Key Brewery is small but growing, and we’re in search of the right person to grow with us! If you have a passion for craft beer and have been looking for a way to get your foot in the door and grow your brewing knowledge, this is the perfect opportunity. Previous brewing experience is not required; we’re most interested in candidates with solid communication skills who are highly detail oriented, well organized, and efficiency-minded — and who aren’t afraid to ask questions.
This is a hybrid role that reports directly to the head brewer as well as the sales director (did we mention we’re small?). As our Production Assistant, you’ll be trained on every aspect of brewing operations, from cleaning and sanitation to wort production and packaging. Your initial brewery responsibilities will largely center on cellar work and brewhouse organization, with brewery work and training comprising roughly half your time each week. The rest of the time, you’ll be delivering kegs and cases of cans to retail accounts and occasional festivals in Chicagoland via our company van, as well as retrieving empty kegs and ensuring all outgoing/incoming vessels are properly tracked.
RESPONSIBILITIES (including but not limited to):
- General: Maintaining a clean and organized operations area, including cleaning floors, cleaning/polishing vessels, logging/cleaning/organizing keg stock
- Cellar Work: Responsible for cleaning and sanitizing fermentation tanks; managing conditioning/finishing processes; packaging in kegs and assisting on canning days; daily fermentation sampling and data logging
- Raw Materials: Responsible for receiving raw material deliveries, including confirming order accuracy, quality inspection, and material storage
- Brewhouse: Contribute to the overall organization, safety, and cleanliness of all brewing areas, as well as assisting with grain handling and wort production on brew days.
- Inventory: Responsible for conducting routine inventories of dry goods, chemicals, hops, yeast, and other brewing ingredients
- Delivery: Frequently moving, lifting, & positioning heavy materials weighing up to 170 lbs (ability to lift 170 pounds to 36″ and 55 pounds to 60”)
- Driving: Safely operating a mid-sized van (2021 Ford Transit Connect) on streets and highways (and in traffic) in all weather conditions
- Communication: Maintaining a professional, respectful, and courteous demeanor when interacting with accounts, patrons, and coworkers
- Education: Participating in sensory evaluation (and eventually leading these sessions for FOH staff); keeping up with local and emerging industry trends; and proactively seeking opportunities for ongoing beer knowledge growth and process improvement
- At least 21 years old
- HS Diploma or GED
- Valid IL driver’s license
- Weekday availability
- General beer knowledge
- Ability to work independently (once trained) and accept direction as needed
- Willingness to work flexibly and collaboratively with the larger team
- Enthusiasm for and patience with learning new processes
- A passion for problem solving
- Prioritization of safety in every situation
- Impeccable driving record and current auto insurance
- Standing for extended periods
- Working in a hot, humid, wet environment
- Regularly and safely lifting up to 55 lbs to shoulder height
- Regularly and safely lifting 170 lbs to waist height & maneuvering across floor
- Willingness to wear personal protective equipment (e.g. safety glasses, steel-toed / rubber boots, chemical-resistant gloves, etc) in the brewery area and branded attire on the road.
- Ability to reliably commute / willingness to relocate before starting in this role
TO APPLY: Please send your resume and a few sentences about 1) why this job appeals to you and 2) why you think it’s a good fit for your career aspirations to: jobs[at]skeletonkeybrewery[dot]com
About Skeleton Key Brewery:
Established in 2016, Skeleton Key Brewery is a family-owned and operated production brewery and taproom located in Woodridge, IL. We believe that craft beer is at its best when it blends a variety of palates and perspectives, and we aim to foster an inclusive environment in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated and respected.
We recently reopened after being closed for 11 months following tornado damage in 2020. Our 8,500 sq ft facility houses a 15bbl steam-fired brewhouse and 15- and 30-barrel fermentation vessels, and three taproom seating areas with two separate bars. In addition to beer, we are passionate about education, inclusivity, and bad movies. We are also active Illinois Craft Brewers Guild and Pink Boots Society participants and local community supporters. Our charitable endeavors center on food security, housing security, equal rights, and the protection and inclusion of marginalized groups.
Skeleton Key Brewery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
(There are a lot of E’s in there, and it’s “brewery,” NOT “brewing,” so make sure you double-check that address before sending!)